JAMAICA BAY_IreneFor those of you who don't recall my focus for the semester, I am proposing a public "complex" for recreation that connects to the train station (which will also be redesigned) in Broad Channel. The goal is to solve the main problem defined in my research, that being mass public access to the waterfront in the heart of Jamaica Bay.
So, there are a few precedents I am looking to, and each for different reasons.
1- The HighLine (James Corner Field Operations, with Diller Scofidio + Renfro)
The main interest in this project, besides it serving as a park space accessible to public, is that it an elevated network of varying complexities with water, vegetative, and alternating walking surface and fixture elements. Providing unique spaces along a linear run is one thing I will be focusing on this semester.

2- London Olympic Complex (FOA)
What this FOA project has to offer is an idea of how fixed structures of desired destination work with fluid and organic circulation paths. I felt this image was the most useful to me because one of the concepts of my new complex, much like the HL as well, is incorporating fixed and specific programs into a greater network of paths, trails, and boardwalks.

3- St.Louis Waterfront (Balmori)
As my project is based in an environment of mostly water, I chose to look at this project as a precedent because it accomplishes that of the HL and the Olympic Stadium, only on the water. Fluid circulation subdivides and creates smaller spaces for recreational use in a larger bay. Different types of vegetation line the shores and intermediate spaces that seem to float directly on the water, an illusion that makes the entire project both bold and delicate.
In terms of who I want to "package" this idea for, it's going to be directed to the agencies that have activities in the bay, and of course the public and private sectors. The idea of the struggle for cohabitation is a pyramidal relationship between public, private, and the natural environment. The goal is coexistence between all groups (currently there is little, hence the idea of the divided landscape). This new complex will serve as a mini hub of activity in that its primary function will be a park with picnic grounds, but it will be the site of small information/instruction structures for fishing, water sports, bird watching/natural observation, cycling storage/rental, and an eco-center that will serve as an exhibition and information space for environmental research (a public version of the current Jamaica Bay Archiv Library)....five fingers/bands of activity.
It's a working title, but I decided to call my project "aquose fünf", after the five segments set in an aquatic environment.
As I will be out for a while, I will try to post my work as it develops on the blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment